Thursday, March 12, 2009

Peanut butter cookies with a twist

I started mixing up a batch of peanut butter cookies a few days ago and then realized that I had plum run out of vanilla. I searched through my spice drawer and found some almond extract; would that work as a substitute? I took the risk and now this recipe is a weekly request. My husband (who doesn't expound normally) said that they are the best cookies he's ever eaten! My heart swells.

Go try them out!

Greenhouse Peanut Butter Cookies

1/2 cup butter

1/2 cup peanut butter (do you like crunchy or creamy?)

1/2 cup sugar (go with the real stuff here, no faux)

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1 egg (guess which egg we used today)

drum roll, please...1/4 teaspoon almond extract (this stuff is strong!)

1 1/4 cup flour

Cream together the butter and peanut butter. Add the sugars, soda, and the baking powder. Beat in the egg and almond extract. Stir in the flour. Shape dough into 1 inch balls; make cross~marks with the tines of a fork. Bake for about 7 minutes at 375*. A baking stone makes great cookies, if you have one!

~I revised a recipe from the Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book~

8 comments:

Lady Farmer said...

So, how come you didn't put this on our "Pantry" blog?
I love almond ~ have to give this a try. ;~}

Mrs. E said...

Oh my goodness! ;) These look SO delectable!! Your are very kind to share the recipe with beautiful pictures, thank you dear friends!!!!

Many Blessings~ Miss Jen

Zoe said...

I adore pb cookies - and I pretend that they are health food, so it is okay to eat them for breakfast, right? :)
Thanks for sharing your recipe - it looks yummy!

p.s. what kind of camera do you have, your pictures are always so crystal clear?

Katie said...

I tried these tonight with the kids, but guess what? No almond extract. I had to revert to vanilla, but plan to try again with almond. The kids loved them. I have yet to sit down and enjoy!

Mama B said...

Hi guys, thanks for all of your comments! And Katie, it's so fun to hear from someone new; I hope you enjoy your cookies soon! Roo's Mama, I confess I have had these cookies for other than dessert; what could be unhealthy about peanut butter, right? =) I would also love to try your recipe for the cookies you brought to our little get-together last month. They were SO good! My camera is a Casio Exilim. It's funny you should say that they are so clear; I'm always lamenting my lack of camera savvy! =) Thanks for the encouragement!

Anne Marie said...

almond extract? very interesting....we'll just have to see about that!

Lavinia said...

I love peanut butter in or on anything except peanut butter cookies. Go figure. Lovely photo...almond flavour is so delicious...last week I had no vanilla for a muffin recipe and I substituted Cassis liquer (made from blackberries).

Mama B said...

Oh, my goodness! Cassis liquer? Could you actually get it into the recipe? I think I'd drink it straight from the bottle! That sounds divine!